HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Will #6 lead kill at 40yds?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 AM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default RE: Will #6 lead kill at 40yds?

E = MV(squared)

Energy equals mass X velocity (squared). The velocity componant figures more prominantlyinto the energy equation because is squared, but that doesn't tell the whole story in terminal ballistics when it comes to killing animals.

What actually kills an animal, in this case a turkey? It is generally accepted that multiple pellet hits in the head and neck, entering the brain and breaking the spinal column, disrupting vital neurologic functions that control respiration and circulation, is what kills the turkey.

So what must happen to accomplish this?

1. One must get enough hits to ensure that the brain is penetrated and/or the spnial column broken. The more pellets hitting the head/neck the better in my book. I've seen various numbers tossed around by hunters but I would challenge anyone to show me the evidence supporting that the minumim number is 9 or 12 or 15 or whatever. One pellet penetrating the brain stem can kill a turkey.

2. The pellets must penetrate the skin and soft tissue to do the terminal damage. This is a function of both momentum and the penetrating quality of the pellet.Momentumfavors heavier projectilesgoing relatively slower (larger shot sizes)than lighter projectiles going faster (smaller shot sizes). It is also important to note that as ranges increase that lighter projectiles shed velocity faster than heavier projectiles due to air resistance.

3. Pellets that are softer (lead) tend to flatten out somewhat when striking the target, limiting penetration. This is probably more important at longer ranges than closer ones as it regards killinga turkey. Note that hevi-shot is hard enough not to flatten out upon striking a turkey.

Back in the early 80s I used nothing but #4s because thatwas all I could find in 3" magnum "heavy loads" of 1 7/8 oz. Then they started copper coating the lead pellets and adding buffers to make them more resistant to deformation and I switched to #5s. I killed a bunch of turkeys withthe good ol' WinchesterSuperXX turkey loads of 2oz ofcopper coated #5 and Federal Premium #5s. They patterned well out of my 870 witha Rem extra full turkey choke. It was a reliable 40-45 yard gun (and I'm ashamed to say I killed some further, a few much further, than that) but it wasn't pretty and those birds generally required chasing and follow-up shots. I grew up and quit doing that crap.

So what shot size is best?? Depends on how far the turkey is and how good (tight) your pattern is and how well the shooter can deliver the center of that pattern on Mr. gobbler's head and neck. There is no scientific formula to determine this and one must balance pattern density (which always favors smaller shot sizes) with terminal ballistics (which generally always favors larger shot sizes).

Now I shoot nothing but Hevi-Shot becase:

1. It doesn't deform
2. It patterns much, much, much tighter than lead.
3. It is denser than lead and, therefore, carries more energy at longer ranges than comparably sized lead pellets.
4. Because of reason #3 one can use smaller pellets to achieve denser patterns, yet retain the penetrating qualities of larger size lead pellets.