HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
cardopski

Default RE: Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?

Folically Challenged, thanks for your advice. I'll def. check out those brands and thanks for the tip on the Transmission %. I just read at zeiss.com (from their handy ABC's of Optics:

=====
Transmission
This is the amount of light in % which can pass through an optical system. Here, it is not only important that it is as high as possible - 90% is standard in binoculars and riflescopes from Carl Zeiss - its maximum must also lie in the right spectral range, an important factor in binoculars to be used in low light conditions. As the sensitivity to blue of the human eye increases in twilight, an image with a yellow or pink tinge in daylight indicates a low transmission in the blue spectral range and hence poor detail recognition in low light conditions.
=====

But they also mention other factors like Exit Pupil and Twilight factor/Twilight performance among others.

While I know it will all depend on my going to a few scope dealers (there aren't many in my town) I really appreciate the information, advice and opinions of people like you. Thanks!

I hope this thread doesn't ruffle too many feathers.

C