HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 20 gauge too big?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 20 gauge too big?

ORIGINAL: Rammer

It all depends on you. We couldn't tell you over the internet if you are ready, or capable of handling a gun.

I was shooting a 12 gauge when I was 10 (and I was real small for my age). My brothers fiance' is all of 5'1" 104lbs, and she shoots a 12 gauge with the best of 'em.

x2

I was started young (6)with a lightweight Ithaca SxS 20 gauge. Kicked the snot out of me. I voiced a complaint, so my Dad picked up a 20ga LT-1100 that I can rapid fire with one hand now 20 years later.... but at the age of 7 that gun was a God send. Its a bit heavier, but its gas operated. I was a skinny wiry little kid, so I was built to handle recoil because rather than soaking it up, I just moved backwards with the gun. At age 11 I started shooting a 12ga 870 Wingmaster... been shooting it a a few others ever since. Only time in my life I was ever really really recoil shy was right after I shot my first deer when I was 6... how often have you shot at or shot something game wise and felt recoil???? Thats the only time I can recall it happening to me!