Thread: FOC mystery
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: FOC mystery

ORIGINAL: lyuv

Hi all,

Just measured the FOC of my 20" 2216 arrows, and was shocked to find it's only 5% with 100grain broadheadand overall weight of 426 grains. 125gr field point made only 9%.

I read here about 18% and 20% FOCs, with arrows of the like. What's wrong with me?

My nocks and inserts are plastic. 5" vanes, and no painting but the factory anodizing.

Should I be at all concerned with my low FOC?

FOC will help with broadhead flight and planing, in fact I had a major change of opinion about NAP 125gr thunderheads from they're performance in my "before setup" to my higher FOC setup, IMO they're picky of arrow setup(and FOC weight), and they went from scattering all overto grouping within a 2" circle by increasing FOC

I have some 2216's I upped the FOC on, 2216's are a fairly heavy shaft in themselves to try to up the FOC, I used 12gr nocks, feathers(which saves about 22gr), weighted inserts and 125gr tips and came up with 445gr and 16%FOC
the rear of my arrows are set up as light as they can get and unfortunately there really isnt any other way toup FOCmore but to add more weight to the tip

I found that 2213's work out pretty well as far as what I wanted for a weight/FOC ratio, mine came out to around 435gr and 18%FOC, however Ifound no real difference in POI or other performance between the 2216's and 2213's out to 40 yards, so, as I've always believed anyway, the extra weight isnt(and really shouldnt be)a big concern...

its hard to find weighted inserts for alumin arrows, I have access to the equipment so I actually made my own, but Ialso came up with an easy DIY for adding insert weight that works good and doesnt require any special tools