HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Guy Wanting to Plant But Needs Help
Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM
steve@myranchsite

Default RE: New Guy Wanting to Plant But Needs Help

Great questions!!! Consider reading my post "Food Plot Basics - Do's and Don'ts" for some thoughts on 10+ years of good and bad food plot learning.

I would consider the area left of the area that you have marked as #2 site as it seems to be more concealed and closer to escape areas. Deer like an area that is close to an escape. To keep it simple, you might consider going with NO-Plow from The Whitetail Institute. It is eay to plan (must be planted annually though) and a good overall forage for whitetail and wildlife in general. Do whatever amount of fertlizing and application of lime that you can (err on the side of more and more lime as your soil is very acidic - like mine). After you have put out fertilizer and lime, put out more lime, and then more lime. Here is an example picture of what you can achieve when you get the Ph to the 6.4 to 6.8 range.

Don't forget to read my lengthy post at "Food Plot Basics - Do's and Don'ts" - you will save time and money doing so................. Thanks, Steve