HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good Elk/Moose Gun
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Remnard
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good Elk/Moose Gun

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper
Bigger bullets produce more recoil, and if they're going slow they won't do worth a darn at even moderately long distances. I think everyone else is right in recommending a cartridge that is moderately fast shooting moderately heavy bullets, like the 7mm-08.

So I'm going to have to disagree that "big and slow" is the only way to go for elk and moose when someone is recoil shy. I wouldn't say it's the way to go at all. Especially when someone is wanting to shooting even moderately longer distances.
[/quote]

Somebody forgot to tell the bufalo this after they were nearly made extinct by the 45/70... (I agree!)
[/quote]

Yeah, that doesnt really hold water. a lighter bullet will never retain as much energy as a heavier bullet. It's just physics. Let me put it this way. If you take a stone that weighs a pound and you throw it at a plate glass window it's going to go through it. If you take a pound of sand and you throw it at a plate glass window its going to , well just hit the window andbounce off. Mass X velocity equals energy.

Put another way what weighs more, five pounds of feathers or five pounds of bricks? Right they both weigh the same. Now, Which would you rather get hit in the head with?

There are trade offs of course, but generally speaking a heavier bullet is going to retain energy better than a lighter bullet. Of course that depends on the velocity with which it hits its intended target. Throw in there trajectory, wind drift etc and several hundred yards opens a pretty big window for mistakes. I won't go in to the particulars as you can look them up in anyreloading manual, but several feet can be the drift of lighter bullets in some of these marginal rounds mentioned here. Suffice to say that any well placed shot, at acceptable distances will kill almost any animal. Wamogo Bell killed many elephants with the 7X57 Mauser. That doesnt mean we should use it for Elk, just means it is capable in the right hunters hands that practices patience. o kill it but let it travel great distances andpossibly never be recovered. Many Guides and outfitters practice the "if you made it bleed we have filled our contract".

I would say at the distances you are espousing, Elk and moose should be hunted with a minimum 30-06 or larger. Yes a 308 will work but it can't get the heavier 165 to 180 grain bullets moving as fast as a 30-06. Get a heavy for caliber rifle (8-9 pounds with scope), that will soften the blow, Get it magnaported as that will help also, and just shoot the damn thing to the point where one gets comfortable wth it. What I tell shooters that I am teaching is The gun is loud, and it gives you a good push, but if you hold it correctly it will never hurt you, and you have to accept that. The hurting side of the gun is the other end. Don't be afraid of it and practice and you will overcome it. Sometimes a day at the range with an even larger caliber gun will give one the confidence necessary when they shoot the gun they will use.