HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Coon Trapping
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Gangly
Nontypical Buck

Default Coon Trapping

Our property is LOADED with coons. Big, small, i hate them all, lol. Anyways, they have little to no predators that they need worry about, just an occasional red fox who im sure doesnt bother them too bad, if he even bothers them at all. Im trying to determine the best method by which to trap them. Live boxes/cages would work well i think, but would they get accustomed to the box cage and just avoid it after awhile or would it still be affective over a given period of time, say 6 months? I wouldnt kill them where i caught them, i would carry them off somewhere and kill them there, then clean the cage and set it again. Would that be sufficient or do you think the coons would still catch on to the live box/cage trap?

What traps or styles of traps do ya'll prefer for strictly coon hunting. I am a novice at best with trapping but Im willing to read and learn, something i have done an awful lot of on the subject recently. However,I feel thatexperience from people who have done it before trumps any book or article you might read so Im hoping i can get some advice on what styles of traps work best.