HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Icefishing Season here has ended..
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Icefishing Season here has ended..

Thanks C.I., a 4 pound whitefish would be hugh up here on the lake I was fishing. The biggest whitefish I ever caught was 1 that was just shy of 4 lbs. Did you catch the whitefish on those perch lures you showed earlier? Up here they dropped the lake about 4 feet so the shorelines were not an issue this year. I traveled 6 miles up lake fishing on the wheeler and was crossing a reef and with the warm weather coming back once I had the back of the wheeler drop about a foot. So after that I traveled and crossed close to shore where the reef came in. It was a little out of the way but I felt more comfortable that way..

Great fish. Why did the season end? Our sport fish season ended at the beginning of March but you can still fish for panfish until you run out of guts to be on the ice. For me that was 2 weeks ago when I could no longer jump the gap between the shore and the ice.
Perhaps you are right about sportfishing I am not to sure about that. I know in the fall once ice forms non sportfishing is allowed, so perhaps I can? I will have to check the law book on that one.. Because white perch are prettytastey and I didn't fish for themat all this icefishing season..