HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Guy Wanting to Plant But Needs Help
Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Snook384
Fork Horn

Default New Guy Wanting to Plant But Needs Help

I am new to creating food plots and I have an area I would like to try to plant but I have a ton of questions. First let me explain the area that I will be planting and we can go from there. The area is in north Florida so when the summer comes it will get a lot of rain. It is also in an area where they manage pine trees for cultivation but there are still a lot of open areas. The ground seems to be constantly mushy and wet. I will have a hard time clearing this area and it is covered in small (about 12 inches high) pine trees. I could go to the edge of the planted pines near the other hardwoods but I am not sure if that is the best to go to. This land is a lease and I am hoping I will not have a bunch of locals get greedy and try to shoot over my spot so I want to keep it small. I have been reading on this site extensively and on others but I thought I would get some direct advice to direct questions. Here are the questions.

How small of a plot is effective in holding whitetail deer?
Is there a seed out there that can tolerate a lot of moisture?
Is there a seed that grows quickly and continually?
After a plot has been seeded can you go in and plant other types on top of it?
Is there any product that will keep the hogs off my food plot (other than a bullet)?
Which company makes a seed that I do not have to work the ground (whitetail institute)?
Is there an easy way to spread lime in an area you cannot take a machine into?[/ol]

I have downloaded the map from google earth and would not mind some pointers about the area in the picture you would plant. I am thinking of scraping the end of the road and planting there. Or do you think the other places are better?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris