HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let' Help with Decoy Placement - Share you tips
Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Let' Help with Decoy Placement - Share you tips

I usually like to use three decoys if I use them.The last fews yrs and all the hype with those strutting Tom decoys I sacrificed my jake and use him insead of 3 hens.Heck he was brand new as I only used him once.

When I use three hens I like to place one fully on the ground, One at attention and one feeding. I like to place them off to me left as I am a right hand shooter - I position them about 10 yards out - with spacing of about 3 to 4 feet. I use this set-up if I am blind sitting. I tyr to make it look natural - I don't bunch them.

For long walks and to keep wt down I may use just one decoy in a feeding position and one at attention.

Lately I have been experiementing with a strutting tom I built myself. For that set-up - again to my left I place the Tom with a hen laying about 2 feet in front of him slightly sideways on the ground. I then use a feeding hen about 6 to 7 ft in front.

With all set-ups the abovehas worked and it has hurt. I have young jakes following hens that once they see a Tom or jake decoy they take the long way around and don't come in. I have hens that have totally ignored and stayed away. I have hens who have come in and wing beat a single hen set-up several times. Then at times they come and just feed through.

I have placed right in the open and then placed and sort of hid them. The reason for hiding them somewhat is I want the tom (if I can get him close more from callin) to stop and then see the decoy. Let him focus that. That set-up is more so from when I think they are decoy shy. By the time they see it - too late you are in range.
I have hens even though I was hen calling totally ignored me, I was sure they cold see the decoys but when they circled the whole field and wandered in back they had a hissy fit.

I have had A Tom zone in on my strutting Tom and come in like the videos I have seen but that has been only once.

I have had my struttin Tombring in a hen, two Jakes, which oneright next to my fake strutteraway from a big Tom they where with. That Tom tried every thing to get his harem back - but was extremely reluctant to march right in - though he was better
a 3 yr old based on his spurs once I had him in my hands.

I have had Toms hang up just out of range several times either singley or in 2 or more. I have had jakes put the brakes on and stay farther out.

I seem to find no ryhme or reason. Only thing I can say - if the Tom stops short - at your first chance analyze why - I have found it has been my tom or Jake decoy and not use it again that hunt.

I have found early season Tom decoys work better - late season they do not.

So if any of you have tips - I sure would like to hear them. An any observatiosn would be most helpful to me and others I am sure

JW