HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Location - A key to killing a mature buck
Old 03-28-2008, 05:38 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Location - A key to killing a mature buck

Maybe I'm not reading this right, or just plain misunderstood it.....but........If you are in a place w/ high deer numbers, and the bucks travel LESS because of that (which does make perfect sense, btw).......Wouldn't your chances go DOWN that you will encounter one? Maybe it's just the way I hunt too, I honestly don't know....But it seems to me if the deer are traveling less, you stand less chance of seeing them.
Well. MO......They're saying a mture buck's home range gets smaller as he ages. BUT....that same range expands during the rut. If the ground you'r ehunting holds a/some mature bucks.....and your deer density is high.....the chances of him wandering ELSEWHERE go down. So....he's still going to cruise his home range. And....if you have access to that range....your chances go UP. At least that's how I take it.

Another thought. Does high deer density necessarily mean there are more bucks on that same ground? My first thought it was yeah, duh...There has to be......But does there?Maybe they disperse and scatter, coming back to a central locale during the rut, where the does are?? I dunno, just something I thought about.
I don't think deer density means there's MORE mature bucks. Not at all. As 1/5 and 1/5yr olds.....their range is pretty huge. They may take up residence anywhere before they reach maturity. Where a buck is born wouldn't have too much influence on where his adult home range was I wouldn't think (to a point).