HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Location - A key to killing a mature buck
Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 AM
mobow

Default RE: Location - A key to killing a mature buck

Also.....if we take into account the fact that older bucks travel less and less as they get older......(or that their home range gets smaller and smaller).....if you know you have a good deer density.....and you know that land holds bucks (obviously all lands that hold deer hold bucks)......the chances go up for you to encounter one (or....more if you have a great spot).
Maybe I'm not reading this right, or just plain misunderstood it.....but........If you are in a place w/ high deer numbers, and the bucks travel LESS because of that (which does make perfect sense, btw).......Wouldn't your chances go DOWN that you will encounter one? Maybe it's just the way I hunt too, I honestly don't know....But it seems to me if the deer are traveling less, you stand less chance of seeing them.

Another thought. Does high deer density necessarily mean there are more bucks on that same ground? My first thought it was yeah, duh...There has to be......But does there?Maybe they disperse and scatter, coming back to a central locale during the rut, where the does are?? I dunno, just something I thought about.