HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Location - A key to killing a mature buck
Old 03-28-2008, 05:12 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default Location - A key to killing a mature buck

..........for me......

Read an interesting article that makes a lot of sense. It stated that in high herd densities......mature bucks travel less during the rut. Makes perfect sense, to me. Why would he travel?

Also.....if we take into account the fact that older bucks travel less and less as they get older......(or that their home range gets smaller and smaller).....if you know you have a good deer density.....and you know that land holds bucks (obviously all lands that hold deer hold bucks)......the chances go up for you to encounter one (or....more if you have a great spot).

This makes my method of hunting the does seem like a sound plan. Sooner or later.....they're gonna get together. And...in higher deer density areas.....the bucks will travel less.

I'll admit.....The fact that older deer travel less was a shocker to me a while back. But knowing that, now......a lot of things made sense when I read this.

It's a numbers game, it seems. I have good numbers.....and even though I'm working on balancing the herd,more........they're working in my favor, currently.