HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .45acp powerful enough for field duty in southeast?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:42 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .45acp powerful enough for field duty in southeast?

ORIGINAL: Destructo

I'm going to be either purchasing a 1911 or a ruger gp100 for field duty and personal defense. I was going to get a 6" .357 mag but after thinking about, the worst thing we have in the field here would likely be a black bear, and a virginian black bear at that, only one i'v seen in person was not that big really. So I figure maybe a .45 loaded with ball ammo would be capable of penetrating the skull, or some federal 230gr hydrashoks or something should have enough punch. I think the 1911 would be better as a home defense weapon, not as loud and not as much muzzle flash. Keeping magazines loaded is no issue, I will have approx 4 mags and rotate them.
Along this line, once when stationed in Alaska, I had an opportunity to shoot at an assorted bunch of black bear heads that were in a hunting camp after the capes had been removed by the skinners. I found that the .357, the .45ACP w/GI 230-grain ball ammo, and the .44 Maggie (no doubt!!) would ALL put a bullet completely through a bear skull from the top, and into the earth underneath for a good 4"-6". Of course the .44 went the deepest. However, in the .45 ACP, I would stick to the BALL (non-expanding) LOAD, and shoot to hit the tip of the nose so the bullet would go up the nasal passage. If it is placeda bit too high, it COULD glance over the forehead. Properplacement is critical to killing any bear with a handgun, but with a hit in the right place, the .45 ACP 230-grain hardball round is as good as any pistol bullet.