HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2008 Canadian Whitetails
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

Hia, SERM is looking at archery as whole interms of harvest numbers. If this were to happen they can't scale back one area they must do it as a whole - parity in an odd sort of way. Reality is archery accounts to far less in terms of harvestes each fall. Sopurely a number game the way i see it.SERM has made a lot of mistakes in recent years as we have talked about in the past, it appears their strings are pulledby other stakeholders who hold more weight then US(hunters)[].

I agree 100% with you. Lets hope this doesn't become reality and just a bad rumor. I am all for changes to the elk season, I think the spikers should be safe in regular rifle and a different strategy should be adopted for the either or cows. I thought maybe a 1 week season but that would be even more mayhem, so what about a 4 day 2 week either season. In our area by the end of weds the hunters numbers dwindle and traffic slows way down, by friday the elk start re-show themselves. So a few day cool down may not be a bad thing and it might just meet objectives better??? I also wonder about having a ML season for cows or either. Current season deck is short stacked as it is, so it would have to be later like in October but just might be a way toget more hunters in the field. Iefarmers who are busy trying to get their crops off in aug-sept. I mean if the numbers were being met the cow draw could potentially be sacled back or even dropped until such time the herd and numbers are in check. Just a few ideas we have kicked around the kitchen table over a bottle of barley or 6. Moose as well, the early moose season in thelower forest zones should never happen. Way to much pressure on bulls and to easy to kill trolls (young bulls in post rut). Not fair for those who pay to be in the draw system or archery hunters either, IMHO. At least the idiots haven't brought back the calf season!

PSre: sunday hunting is in the pipe as well (passed with over 70%).Said crown land to be allowed first. Won't that be messy? PFRA's and Wildlife lands are listed as crown however as you well know they are bordered by private. I say either do it or drop it, not half ass it.... the SPERM way![&o]

Any way good to see you around these parts and best of luck in your endeavours.

BTWI have the gun itch as well, have a couple scopes that need homes. A new ML (savage maybe on the block I did some work to it this winter and have been offered afew pennies to release it)I just might then buy a TCand put the resttowards another CF. Have a couple LH irons I have been considering; a couple fo brownings- .270wsm, 325wsm and 338wm. Also liking the sounds of owning a .375 Ruger. Have an offer in on a rem 700 2506AI LH as well, though owner is out to lunchon his price so doubtful we can come to terms on this one.