HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:00 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

I didn't watch the video. Didn't have any reason to because I absolutely agree with their conclusion.
If you tune specifically for best flight and smallest group size with broadheads, thenthe bowwill not shoot FP's to the same POI. If you tune for best flight and smallest group size with FP's, it will not shoot broadheads to the same POI.

I've always lived by the rule that I'm tuning the bow for the specificuse I intend for it and, if/when my intentions change, I retune. For a tournmanet bow, I tune specifically for best flight and smallest groups withFP's.For a hunting bow, when it's tuned to shoot broadheads for best flight and smallest groupsto the best ofmy capability - because a bow can't be tuned better than the shooter's skill allows - it's tuned. PROPERLY tuned for shooting broadheads. Let the FP's fall where they may.

If your goal is to get the bow shooting broadheads and field tips to the same POIand succeed at it, then you can call the bow 'properly tuned' because it meets your requirement. It will likely shoot both types heads adequately, but will not shoot either one to best capability.

Len, I know you remember the days when we often had a broadhead component to many tournaments. We used dovetail mounts and had two sets of sights, one sighted in for field points and the other sighted in for broadheads. Why? Because when our bows were finely tuned for best tournament gradeaccuracy with FP's, they would not shoot BH's to the same POI.

It wasn't until Chuck Adams wanted to make a nickle with his 'tuning kit' that the concept of tuning to get your broadheads and field points together was born.

And the entire reason for it? Convenience. So you don't have to resight your bow when switching back and forth from FP's to BH's. That's it. Nothing mystical, no universe altering revelation, no marvel of modern engineering elegance. Just convenience. It was not and hasnever beenthe end all, be all pinnacle of tuning excellence.