HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on training
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on training

This is the kind of benefitial post that will help more people than asking why is my dog doing this or that. It makes you think. Hopefully, people reading will think and evaluate what their program is doing or trying to do instead of just following along.

Jonesy, yes I've thought alot on this. From what I've read, you are doing what I've been trying to explain, getting the dog to do it and not dancing around. Your methodsgets to the heart of it,

When I start a dog, I do no limb tossing, or ball stuff, I am worried about it wanting to retrieve the bird. I will do wings some but not really that much, I will start the work on birds, and building the desire...plus start the handle, and the final being the retrieve

You are teaching the dog to fetch and not some dance routine. You repeat your method to steady the dog. Maybe this will help explain.

Hereisan example of a badroutine for fetching.Joeis driving a car with the dog running along side.Joe tosses a fire cracker out the window and yell, 'fetch'. Some howJoe makes the dog pick up the fire cracker as it explodes in its mouth.Joe does this over and over hoping that when in the field, the dog will learn to fetch any type of bird.

It won't work because the car and the fire cracker doesn't resemble actual hunting conditions. ButJoeis hoping the dog makes a mental leap with picking up fire cracker with picking up the bird. Itsflawed because the original routine is flawed.

But you are teaching fetch. You don't have a routine but are repeating fetch. That is, yourmethod doesn't depend upon how close to 'fetch' can I come, it's actual fetching.

I've also thought on 'woah' command. In the field, when do you actually use 'woah'? When the dog breaks. Other than that, 'stay' could be easily substituted for 'woah'. If the dog can handle both commands, why not use both? 'Stay' and 'heel' can be taught anywhere as it doesn't matter where you use it. But 'woah' is used only when breaking point. So, wouldn't it be best to teach 'woah' only with pointing?