HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dekes or no dekes...that' s the question
Old 04-01-2003, 06:24 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dekes or no dekes...that' s the question

I have a set of Buckwing' s (hen & jake combo). They are brand new and never been used. This season will be the first for them. The collapsible " umbrella" inside them is a cool feature.

Buckwings are wicked shiny, but are still real nice looking. What I did to sort of tone down that irridecent bright shine, is CAREFULLY take some #000 steel wool and go lighly down along the feathers. Believe it or not, it worked. The Buckwings are still shiny, but, at least they don' t have that blinding glow to them.

I have the jake in a standard position, and originally had the hen in an upright position. But I changed that, after reading that an upright, alert, decoy means danger, and will spook a gobbler.

I turkey hunted last season without decoys and it was a bust. Total, complete, skunk. [:' (]

Turkeysrule, I think the rule of thumb is a hen/jake combo, or two hens and a jake. There' s hundreds of varieties of decoys out there. The coolest, but probably most dangerous decoys are the inflatable ones called Sceery. I saw them over the weekend at a store and couldn' t believe the appearance. I mean, you do a double take when seeing them. Yes, they are that real!! But, they inflate like a balloon. {BAM! - oops, sorry pal, I shot your deke. Oh man, sorry... it' s in shreds now!} Or worse, you could have another hunter see the Sceery decoy, think it' s actually real, and get waaaaaay to close for comfort, if you know what I mean! []

Butch