HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun shy dog ?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Cara
Spike

Default RE: Gun shy dog ?

God bless you for taking her in. Nothing chaps my ass more than the attitude that once a dog shows it has some kind of issue, you can just dump it off on someone else and go and get a 'new' one. No dog is perfect, no matter where you get it from. I'm sure we've all seen people buy a puppy, ruin it,and then trade it in for another.

Sure your dog is going to be a long, uphill climb, but it's better to try and fail than never to try in the first place. I can't remember if you mentioned how long you've had her, but the most important thing is to develop trust in each other before you try to teach her anything. There is no set amount of time it will take a dog to settle in, but at first they are so overwhelmed with new people, noises, smells and other animals that they just can't take in any more.Once sherealises you treat her with kindness, she will give you her all. Whether that's a loyal friend or agood hunting dog who knows, but either way you'll have got lucky. Good luck with her, and thanks for having the heart tolook after her.