HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can you teach an old dog new tricks??
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can you teach an old dog new tricks??

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

If somethin was floppin around in the water she would def go get it, but im not sure how to go about getting her to understand the concept of when to retrieve. My lab, jenny, does the same thing as far as not wanting to swim out, but I think she just doesnt understand the water. when i was younger we lived by water and she swam everywhere, then we had to move away and she hasnt been around water for years. We just moved back and there is a pond a few hundred yards behind my house. now everytime it is warm she dives rite in, she just doesnt go out too far. when it is warm enough, im going to take a canoe out in the pond with her and let her swim around me. I think that will help. also, im kinduv a noob at duck hunting so if anyone has ne tips let me know

Duck hunting tips are for a whole different thread..... I'd ramble on for hours. I'll spare you.

In my experience with young dogs, water retreives are easier than land retreives. Sometimes dogs that aren't used to birds won't pick up a bird on land, espeically if its still alive. They tend to act a bit confused. In water, they don't have much of a choice, just grab it and bring it to shore. Sometimes they will spit it out when they get there... but you don't have to take the swim. Its not perfect, and its not finished, but its a start anyway. Training with birds is the best way around it... of course to train with birds, you need birds... which can be a whole different problem.