View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 08:02 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Hunter - 30-30 WIN Questions

ORIGINAL: Remnard

ORIGINAL: Figsy

Hi All,

I just signed up to this forum, lots of great info. The reason that I am writing is that I am fairlynew to hunting (I do huntpheasant though). I just inherited my grandfather's Marlin 336 30-30 (iron sights)and had some ammunition questions. The local stores basicallycarry Winchester 30-30 Powerpoint and Silvertip both in 150 and 170 grains. Can someone please tell me (or direct me where to look) what the difference is between Powerpoint and Silvertip? What type of game should be hunted with Powerpoint vs Silvertip and should the round be either 150 or 170 grains? I know that shot placement is the key factor in taking down game. What is the longest range that you would recommend hunting with the Marlin 335 in30-30 WIN? What is the largest game animal that should be hunted with 30-30 WIN? As you can see, I know almost nothing about the 30-30 cartridge, so any info would be useful and much appreciated. Thanks, Figsy.
figsy, both of those rounds are for big game and both are good brands. the trick is to see which one your particular gun is more accurate with. buy a box of each and see. I would start with the 170 grain as the 30 caliber guns typically have the best ballistic coefficient with a 165 grain bullet. If u can't get good groups try a 150 grain.

The point blank range for a 30-30 is about 120-130 yards. I would try that lever revolution ammo also if i were looking at hunting with that round. again see which one your gun is most accurate with. they will all take deer size game down handily.
+1

Excellent advice above... You have to see what flavor of ammo your .30-30 will like. Some like Remington Core-Lokt. Others like Winchester Silvertips, Hornady, Federal, etc...etc...

I love my Marlin .30-30 and will never part with it. It has a distinct preference for Winchester Silvertip 170gr, so that's what I stick with.

Also, depending on where you hunt, I'd keep your grandpa's .30-30 traditional and historical, with the plain iron sights. Lots of people put a scope on a .30-30, but I don't. To me, it just looks funny. But then, with the new Hornady LeverEvolution rounds, and a scoped .30-30, you could essentially take a deer at 200-250 yards.

I keep my Marlin .30-30 plain, with the iron sights and only use it in the heavy woods and thick brush, where I need to quickly fire off a shot at maybe 50-75 yards.

For longer ranges, I chose to NOT scope my .30-30, but went out and picked up a nice, used, Savage 110 chambered in .308 and mounted a real nice 3-9x40 Bushnell scope on it. I don't plan on bringing the Savage into the heavy brush and will use it on ridgetops and overlooking fields, where I could shoot up to 200-250 yards if need be.

Two rifles for two different styles of hunting = the best of both worlds!