HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bore Butter......
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bore Butter......

Well...He saw you coming...Not a word of truth to it...

How do you season steel??? I have several cast iron fry pans that are 40 years old or so, still use them, they will "season" with the different tastes and oils as you use them through the years, not so with gun steel...

I started shooting flintlocks back in the 70s...I NEVER heard of seasoning a barrel until I started seeing advertising on this stuff in the early 80s, if I remember correctly...During this time I was doing some competive shooting, one of the members of the local club used axle grease to lube his patches...He built longrifles during that time and several of his won at Friendship...

Now, I'm guessing you are using an inline, don't put BoreButter down the barrel...The custom made flinters that I use have cut riflling, .015 deep, made for patches...A inline has button rifling, .004-.006 deep...According to the Knight tech I discussed this with a few years ago, with the shallow rifling on inlines the BoreButter can build up in the grooves, which hinders the sabot trying to grip the rifling, ruining accuracy...