HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 700 CDL Opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Folically Challenged
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington 700 CDL Opinions

Ditto everyone else's comments:

* Good lookin'!
* 1" to 1½" groups all day, with several in the 3/8" range if you can wait for the barrel to cool.
* There can be some variation in the wood, so if you can sample several, that can be a good thing.

I'd also mention:

* The R3 recoil pad makes this rifle head-&-shoulders above any plastic butt plate models (like the old BDL's).
* You'll likely need to pony-up for a trigger job. Mine was 6.75 lbs. from the factory, but my 'smith got it down to 3#with asuper clean break.
* The barrel contour is a tad slim. While I happen to like that in the field, she does have a tendency toget hot at the range.
* They're durable. Mine was stepped-on by a pack horse last Fall, & it held POI perfectly. I guess "durable" goes for the Zeiss Conquest I've got on it, too!
* With such a great lookin', great shooting rifle, you may find your scope budget creeping WAY higher than you'd like!

I bought mine foremostfor the fit. It comes upto my shoulder like magic, nestles right into my cheek, and the slim grip & fore endmake mejust smile each time I hold it. I never understood people who owned rifleschamberedin different cartridges, butin only 1 model. Now, I get it. I've got more than a small hankerin' to pick one up in both .25-'06, and .35 Whelen, but it's hard to justify doing so, given that the one I've got is in .30-'06!

I've heard it said that the best rifle is whichever one give you supreme confidence. To me, the CDL is the best rifle: it's what a rifle's supposed to be.

FC