HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on training
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on training

Hey Phil,
She's not a pup as she is already three years old with three seasons behind her. Last season was good. She pointed a few pheasants and I shot a few. We averaged 2 times a week, sometimes 3 times. I also take her to the dog park daily which is heavily wooded and alot of standing water around. She has fun hunting the ducks there. As for drive, she's very birdy to the point of stubborn.

Unfortuneately, there's isn't a game farm nearby. The closest one would be in Ellensburg which would most likely require an overnight stay as the drive there is around 2-2.5 hrs one way. Plus, it would require driving thru the pass which is snowed at the moment. But we are planning to go there this summer.

I was just wondering about any opinions on Buddy Smith's barrel method adaptation. A 55 gal drum would be too unwieldy.

On of the trainers Bill Tarrant's Gun Dog Training - New Strategies from Today's Top Trainers is Bob Spouse. He was a red setter man and once editor of The Flushing Whip. He talks about back in the '30s, his grandfather owned red setters with Campbell blood. This is the same line of red setters started by George and Milton Campbell in which back in 1884, Joe Junior (mixed red setter) beat the famous Llewellin setter Gladstone in a one-to-one competition. It goes on about how the red setter was saved by outcrossing. Very interesting story.