HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowtech questions
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech questions

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Ironically, the pro shop that I worked at did just that with BowTech. Carolina Rod and Gun in Charleston, SC. Margins were so slim that we couldn't turn a dime without charging dang near full MSRP or even slightly over that. I told my boss then that without pumping some serious money into the archery side of things and picking up some more bowlines (we sold PSE, Browning and BowTech) that it would just be a hole in the boat. He agreed and got out of the archery business all together. Haven't checked back with my old boss in a few years, but I am sure that business is just as great as it was when I worked there. For a small gun shop to stay in business that long, you have to be pretty savvy, and he is just that..... not a guy who just fell off the turnip cart you know. Is Bowtech any worse off without them.... no I'm sure they aren't.... and I suspect that they don't really care either (I know for a fact they didn't because I was in the room on speaker phone discussing the whole situation with our account rep). It is what it is.
So your basis for an argument is a guy who couldn't sell ANYTHING in the archery business and got out of it??? I don't follow your logic.

And I've been in that place many times. I lived in Mount P. for several years. Nice old-school gun shop.....but I wouldn't have bought an arrow in that place, either.

No, we sold a lot of stuff in the archery business.... just like the tackle business.... the margins are so slim that we couldn't turn a profit on it. Why wouldn't you have bought an arrow there? They sell Gold Tips.... I didn't know you'd been bow hunting that long? I digress. You made a comment about dealers not carrying their bows because of the high costs and low set MSRPs..... thats exactly what happened in that case.