HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Favorite Magnum Caliber?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Magnum Caliber?

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

well the stw is pretty awesome, if you remember, remington legitimized the stw, rated it at 3430 fps or so, then a couple years later they introduced the RUM, essentialy the same but in order to boost sales the stw was then cut back to 3300 fps with a 140, I have a custom lilja barreled 7 stw and it sends a 140 downrange at an honest 3550 fps, not many rums run that fast.
But my favorite 7mm magnum cartridge is the 7mm Allen Mag, burns alot of powder, but flat leaves the stw or the rum in the dust, it sends a 160 gr nosler downrange at 3575 fps loaded rather mildly, I've taken deer with it at over 800 yards.
RR
Very instructive. I didn't know that Rem had legitimized the STW.... although I did know that they are one of the few companys (bigger companies) that still offer it in a factory chambering. It would kind of make sense that they downplay the STW when they roll out their own version. Everyone has an agenda. And I suspect all those years loading and playing with the STW certainly taught them a few things for making the Ultra Mag family.

I don't think I've heard of the Allen Mag RR... mind giving us a bit of background on it? Parent case and so forth? Whats it got over the other two fast and flat 7mms? Thanks!