HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is it my shooting or something else?....
Old 03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
rafsob
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it my shooting or something else?....

Firstlistento nchawkeye and dump the pelletsand go topowder. Also stop just using one type bullet. Next move over to the 50 yd. range and go back in powder charge. Start with 75 grs. and work up in 5 or10 gr. increments.

Now as tothe bullets.Get some different lead conical bullets ( Maxi Ball, Maxi Hunter, Hornaday Great Plains bullets and maybe someR.E.A.L bullets) andsabot bullets (Hornaday has someXTP saboted bullets as do Barnes expanders just to name a few) andexperiment.

I had a T/C Encore with blackpowder barrel that would only shoot thesaboted SST bullets. I mean nothing else would group out of that gun. I also had a NEF Sidekick and If I could stuff the kitchen sink down the barrel, it would shoot great groups. Everything I tried grouped nicely.

I endedup getting rid of the Encore and gota InvestArms Hawkins Carbine in .54 cal. only because my best buddy uses the Sidekick nowandhas harvested deer for the last four years. I can honestly say that everyBP gun I have owned, I had to work upa good load for it. But isn't that one of the best parts of having a smokepole???