HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is it my shooting or something else?....
Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
dmurphy317
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it my shooting or something else?....

I have a Magbolt which is basically the same gun. I started out with the 295PB's and never could get them to shoot consistantly. I found the 348 HP PB's shot much more consistently, in fact I went from a 4 to 5" group down to sub 1" by switching from 100gr of pellets and a 295 to 100gr of loose and a 348.

If everything else is tight and lined up and your swabbing between shots and letting it cool down, that is where I would start, a different bullet. I now have many hundreds of rounds through mine and it has settled in such that I can shoot many different bullets with acceptable accuracy but the gun tended to favor heavier bullets for the longest time.

It sounds like your trigger is working for you, mine was a bit stiff so I used some powdered moly on the contact points of the trigger and worked that in. now it has maybe half the pull weight and breaks very nice.

As for the scope needing to be shimed, I tried that on one of my guns and didn't like the results. I ended up going with Burris Signature ringswith the offset inserts to get the scope lined up on paper before ever adjusting the crosshairs. Those rings have self centering inserts that will not mar the scope finish and will nottorque the scope tube. With the offset inserts you can adjust the scope to be on paper without moving the adjustment screws which leaves the full range of adjustablity once your on paper. I highly recommend them.

There may be other things going on but this gives you a few things to check before doing major work on the stock, etc. Good luck with it.