HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shed hunting question
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:29 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shed hunting question

ORIGINAL: hunter211

I have never gone shed hunting before and was wondering if there are certain areas where sheds are found? Do deer shed them close to where rubs were, funnels or in thicker brush or ......? Just lookin for any tips, thanks.
Just like hunting... you need to find an area that the bucks have been " wintering "in... especially the last couple months. If you go in an area blind... find the feed areas, run the trails and search the bedding area. Look for fairly recent deer sign.The more deer sign the better !!!

I don't really expect to find the deerinour fall hunting spots foralot ofmy area. My area is very open though and mostly ag land with some CRP. The deerherd up andtend to winter by old corn fields orsoybean fields. We usually start in their feeding areas and work our way back to the bedding/stagingareas.

If you have ag fieldsdon't over look grassy areas by or inthem.We find a lot of sheds in these grassy area as they will browse out there for roughage as well as feeding in the fields.

Get permission for as much land as possible to shed hunt. The deer move around here in the winter looking for good feeding areas. One area might be great one year andworthless the next year depending on where the deer winter at when the bucks are shedding.

We scout to see where they arewintering when the bucks are shedding.

For really wooded areas... hopefully someone else will chime in as we don't have that here.

Tim