HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How should I approach this B&C?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Hoytail Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How should I approach this B&C?

I need to devise a plan to be there if and when he comes back. I feel there's a decent chance that this is part of his normal travel route and that he will eventually show up again. There is food where he was headed. I also read that as a buck matures hiscore areagets smaller and smaller. This of course gives me hope that where I saw himwas part of hiscore area. Hopefully he wont move out of the area.Then considering I saw himnearly atthe end of the season, he's probably alive right now unless he met a semi or a poacher.

I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't even step foot in those woods til late season when most all the hunting pressure is off and he feels safe enough to come out. I originally wanted to get in there pre-rut for the upcoming08 seasonbecause I was concerned about him getting torn up from fighting. I feared this mainly because I shot another mature buck out of that same area and he was a broken tined, multiple punctured, bloody mess. But,thinking about it, this big dog probably wont have too many other bucks big enough to want to contend with him. I'm guessing him at 300lbs live weight and 180".

So... what would you do, how would you do it, when would you do it? Do you think he will remember a year later where a bowhunter once sat trembling?