HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flushers shouldnt take the back seat
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 PM
RemingtonDoesItAgain

Default Flushers shouldnt take the back seat

Recently my local bird hunting farm (pheasants, quail, and chukar) held winter trials. It was separated by flushers and pointers like many field trials. While I hunt with my 4 year old English Springer Spaniels named Dozer, Arrow, and Maggie, I enjoy watching all kinds flushers work. I grew up around labs and spaniels and love the way they hunt. At the trial, it seemed like all the handlers of pointers were gioving the flusher handlers the cold shoulder and seemed to act like their dogs were superior. I have no problem with pointers. In fact I hunted with a Wirehaired Griffon for 3 years before he passed due to cancer. I just wonder why some people would thnk a pointer is "superior". Flsuhing and pointing are two different schools of brid hunting. Flusher hunters have to be constantly with their dogs and ready for the flush. Pointer hunters can stay back and wait for the point and have much more time to ready for the bird. I just wonder why handlers cant see each other dogs and disciplines as equal.