View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 05:30 PM
The Rev
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: limbs problem/ tiller

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: The Rev

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

While I agree that it's best to know how to fix and maintain your own bow, you can often make a problem worse if you don't know what you're doing.Compounds ain't rocket science but they do take some knowledge.So, you got your bow fixed and you've seen how it was done. Now you've got a good start on your maintenance education.

I very rarely let anyone work on my bows. It only happens when the work needs a full size press, which I don't have. My problem is, the only shops I used to trust are out of business now. [&o]

I agree.
While working on my transmission one day my Dad said, "There are two kinds of people that work on transmissions, experts and idiots, which one are you?" There's is a lot of wisdom in what Art said.
Far be it from me to speak poorly of your father, but idiots got a start some where. I've worked on them, I don't think I'd rebuild one but I have pulled them and replaced them. The more you do the more you know. I would take apart one that was busted and in need of replacing on the off chance that I might be able to fix it. I do know that a typical one has about 2 thousand parts. I've filed that away. Heard it over 25 years ago from a guy who worked on catapiler transmissions. He was what your dad would have called an expert. Bows are no transmissions. He also built his own plane and crashed it.

So the guy would work on his bow and it wouldn't turn out right, he would learn something valuable. My first bike as a kid didn't make it long, I took it apart and it never went back together, I'd taken apart things that weren't supposed to be taken apart like the bearings out of theircasing. That experience has helped me many times.

Nothing wrong with Arthur's advise and I'm sure it's experience talking, pretty good if the guy was sucking it up like a sponge.
I can understand that you have to start somewhere... As far as my dad he never did much. He won the gold medal in the Olympics for shooting , was the best rifle shooter in the world for most of the 60's.Tested the weapon that Oswald shot Kennedy with, he hand two masters degrees, taught physics and trigonometry.. So when he said something, I listened. Pulling a transmission would qualify a person to be a transmission mechanic. I was actually trying to rebuild an automatic transmission and had parts all over the place. BTW, I did learn to work on cars that year I started drag racing for money, without my dad's help.