HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why are hunts so damn expensive???
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: Why are hunts so damn expensive???

I pay for outfitted hunts. I'm not ashamed of it either. I see fellow hunters from my area make the annual trek to colorado to stomp around with the other nomads in over hunted areas. Once in a blue moon one of those guys brings home a rag horn. generally though the trip is considered a succes if one of the 5-6 hunters bags a cow. and there certainly isn't anything wrong with that. They have a great time. It just isn't for me.

I would rather stay home, then drive out there and fight the rest of the idiots for elbow room. It really doesn't suit me to be in the elk woods and hear 4 wheelers running the roads all day:

"Oh whats that?" is it a bull? cow? Nope its a polaris.

No when I go which isn't every year. I pay to be dropped in the back country. Lets get way back in where we won't see another soul. Sure I could do it DIY, and if I lived closer I would. But the pure logistics make it more sensible to hire it done. By the time I trailered my horses out, got them acclimated, scouted a camp site, packed in all the gear and food, and got camp set up, it would be time to head back to work. No I'll pay someone else to do that, plus they will hopefully know the area good enough that we can start off hunting rather than learning the country.

It costs a pretty penny, no doubt. But, what doesn't anymore. I agree that the costs are getting out of control. I will either have to bite the bullet and pay it or (gasp) stay home.