HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The quest for 80.
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The quest for 80.

I don't know if I've ever heard of a true 80 bird?

Many years ago now, when I shot my big one (76 3/4... and thats a true typ bird as well), a gentleman entered a bird in the state contest (I did not) that was a true typical also and scored 77 11/16 or something like that. It was close to 78. Bird had matching 1 7/8" hooks, and was a good piece lighter than my bird. Had a 1/2" longer beard.

BTW: The bird that I shot weighed 23# 4oz, L: 1 5/8" R: 1 5/8" Beard: 10.5" for a total of 76 3/4. I'll never best him in VA. Its a book bird for sure. It was the first turkey I ever killed and was just so pleased with him I had no clue what I had come upon.

Fran if you want a true 80..... I'd suspect he'd be found somewhere in the mid-west. Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio... one of those big cold region 24#+ monsters. Gotta have a place with no rocks as well. Better get him early before he loses weight. That big bird that scored over 77 here in VA was shot on the last day of the season and went 21#s and change. Thats a big one in VA... but to be on the last day... I'd suspect he would have gone over 24 in early April. Very few turkeys killed in this state over 21#s.