HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Chesapeake bay training
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 07:04 PM
dogger69

Default RE: Chesapeake bay training

Thanks for the responses,,, I'll try most,, but not the 2x4's ! LOL Both of my dogs are 4-5 months old, female, and very smart. The youngest one has an impressive pedigree and seems to have the most in the way of desire to retrieve and please.Both areswimming and retrievingin the potomac river, (still very cold water in february) and seem to love it. I've thought of getting an E-collar but I've heard so many pro's and con's, I'm not quite sure if it'snecessary. Some days they are pushbutton, the next day they seem to be starting from scratch. So far they respond to a whistle very well, and I have no problemscontrolling them when walking around the farm.

I'd love to see some field trials or find a website that explains field trials and how to train for one.Up to now I haven't found any. I've bought the video "waterdog", and itseems to be really doing well for me.I've also purchased theMike Pinds video "retriever training". I'llprobably use alot fromboth and hope for the best. Theyreally arelike shadows, you can't get out of their sight for a moment.

We'reglad we bought Chessies,andwe spend a lot of time with the obedience training (very necessary from what I've read). My oldest pup has an impressive bark and is showing signs that she needs more socialization. I'm not sure if itisadominance issue, trying to protect the younger pup, or it's the classic chessie"guard" reaction when feeling threatened.Anywho, I'm confidant we can work through it. Thanks for all theadvice, I appreciate the help!

Dogger