HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My thoughts on leasing
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
txjourneyman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My thoughts on leasing

I haven't read all 20 pages of this thing. I lease in Tx. I have the choice not to. If I decide I don't want to lease I can hunt what is open to hunting of the 3% of land in Tx that is publicly owned. That small little bit of public land is highly pressured and overcrowded. Or I can try to buy a few overpriced acres. Average price per undeveloped acre in my county is about $4000. I can lease hunting land that is far from prime in Tx for about $7.50 acre. That way I can lease 100 acres of land with deer and hogs and have a chance. Or I can try to lease some really prime land that carries large bucks and pay up to $100 an acre. Not a reality in my blue collar world.
I can't remember the last time I heard of a handshake deal for permission in Tx. I thought I had one last year when I helped an elderly rancher change a tire. He died before hunting season opened. His son didn't want me to hunt the land.
I lost my lease when the landowner sold the place back in December. I'm looking for another. I've knocked on a bunch of doors and it is futile in Tx. I'll be leasing again. I just hope I can find some decent land that I can afford.