HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - JIM SHOCKEY GOLD POWDER
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
jdbowhunter
Fork Horn

Default JIM SHOCKEY GOLD POWDER

This is the first time I have posted a question on the Black Powder Forum. I am relatively sure my question has beenasked here before but here goes. I have 2 muzzleloaders, a Thompson Encore that I have had for several years and a new Thompson Omega that I shot for the first time a couple of weeks ago. On the Encore I have used 110 grains of Pyrodex Pellets with Barnes 300 grain sabots and had excellent results (1 1/2 inch groups a 100 yards). I thought I would try the Jim Shockey Gold 150 grain sticks in the new Omega with Power Belt Platinum 270 grain bullets. Whereas, I can shoot many more times without cleaning than I can with the Pyrodex and the Encore, I can't group good enough to hit the broadside of a barn. I also tried this same powder and bullet in my Encore with the same results - totally unsatisfactory groups. Has anyone had similar experience with this powder or does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? I know Jim Shockey shoots this powder all over the world or at least so he says. Please help.