HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My thoughts on leasing
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 AM
hardcorehunter
Banned

Default My thoughts on leasing

LEASING IS RUINING HUNTING IMO, and here is why.
I am a nonleaser that will never lease, looking in at you leasers' lives. Like a friend of mine stated, "Once money is exchanged on a property to hunt, it will always be expected." Eventually it will be to the highest bidder and it may not be you. The retired farmer sitting in the cafe with his buddies and one of them states that he is leasing his land for hunting and the word spreads like wildfire. If one is doing it, then the others want in on the action. It is human nature. Once leasing is started, it won't ever go back to theknock on the doorsystem. You have taken that land away from the knock on the door, do you need any help on your farm, here is a gift certificate to take your wife out for dinner, thanks for letting me hunt; I appreciate your kind gesture. I had three farms that I could hunt anytime and had sole permission on them because of my actions toward the landowner and him making the decision for it to be that way. Not me demanding sole hunting rights by getting my checkbook out. I cut firewood, build fence, plow their driveways,etc. to show my appreciation. BTW, grain prices are at an all time high and subsidy payments hit the farmers mailbox so don't tell me the farmer needs the extra cash to pay his taxes. The subsidy payments are by taxpayers so you are already leasing his land in actuality. I know this statement maytick off a few farmers, but it is the truth with no sugar coating. Farmers aren't hurting and your lease payment isn't keeping the wolves away from his door. Leasing doesn't affect me and never will as I see it in my lifetime. I can come to IA anytime I want to hunt and hunt for free on all of my farms as I have a relationship with landowners and my family owns land. I have 23 million acres of public land to hunt in NM and I have already secured several private ranches to hunt in NM on with my wifes' connection as a banker. She mentioned that we like to bowhunt and the ranchers told her that we are welcome anytime. Hunters' numbers are down 10% according to the US Fish and Game over the last 10 years so you can't tell me that leasing is necessary because of the high number of hunters. Leasing didn't occur until about 10 years ago for the most part and now is running rampant. It is the greed of hunters wanting trophies and to have more, more, more, andI will buy my way into what I want. My Grandpa, my Dad, and myself were brought up in an era where everybody hunted; yet no leasing occured.Go ahead and lease all you want, but I believe you are cutting your own throats in the long run. It is a no win, greed for ground situation, that can have no positive outcome on huntingIMO. Your input on this troubling subject please.