HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Topo Maps
Thread: Topo Maps
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 07:05 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: Topo Maps

Hale87,
Welcome to the board and welcome to Colorado for your first elk hunt!

Hopefully your friend who will be wrapping up archery will be able to " guide" you a little bit for your first elk hunt. It would be nice if you can arrive at least a couple days early so you can either scout on your own or he can show you around. I' m assuming you can find a book on orienteering at any Boy Scout supply store, so I' m going to stray from your question just a little bit -- but boy does this ever fit right in.

Consider picking up a lower to middle of the road GPS ($90-150). Having the highways and all the McDonalds loaded " on chip" isn' t really worth the $300-400 for elk hunting. If you learn how to use your GPS it will make you fearless in your navigation and since most good elk hunters end up hiking in the dark at both ends of the day -- in really BIG country -- it makes for a good feeling.

Now regarding maps and navigation consider for $99 National Geographics Topo! program (whole state of Colorado). These computer maps are of the same quality as the 7.5 minute Government and Trails Illustrated maps. The wonderful thing about these maps is that they are SHADED so you can almost see 3D!

If you get the data cable (for between the computer and your GPS) you can mark waypoints on the computer program and down load them into your GPS and then upon arrival at a place you have never been before you can navigate to and from trail heads, forks in drainages, high points, springs, etc as well as being able to easily identify local land marks. Plus it will print out great maps (especially B&W laser) that you can encase in plastic that will have these waypoints printed right on the map.

Even if your friend is going to " guide" you it is valuable to know where it is that you have been taken (in the dark). Drop in a way point every quarter mile as you hike in and out or while you hunt and later you can upload the info into your computer and see where you REALLY went versus where you THOUGHT you went. You will love it as it goes a long way toward helping you avoid one of the newcomer' s biggest concerns -- getting lost.

One caveat though, DO take a compass AND DO practice at home PLENTY!

Side note: I' d never heard of Collbran before. Went to my TOPO! program typed it in under " find" and I see you are just east of Grand Junction, Near Grand Mesa National Forest not far from the " wine country" of Palesade. If you are sore and tired consider going to soak in the hot springs at Glenwood Springs! It would only take minutes to mark Collbran with a way point, download the way point into my GPS, step out the front door, lock on, and have a heading and distance to Collbran. If its good enough for our boys in Iraq, then its good enough for me.

Good Luck,

Never Go Under Gunned,