HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone from around Colville for dog training?
Old 03-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Doc E
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone from around Colville for dog training?

Wayne,

It was great for you and the Shooter boy to show up. I think we had a pretty good session. Shooter has the desire, as well as the brains to be a super hunting companion for ya.

Always start a training session with a review and tune up of Obedience (HEEL, SIT). Then do your HOLD session, then one or two " fun bumpers). We' ll get into a remote sit next weekend for ya (like Paul was doing with Diesel -- rebar in the ground with the long check cord).

For " Formal Hold" , there' s nothing wrong with holding his mouth shut (gently, so that you don' t pinch his lip) - then as soon as he accepts the dummy, only use the chin cuffs with the word " HOLD" . Short " holds" (only a few seconds) are fine for now - and LOTS of praise when he does it right.

I' ll be sending you an email in a couple minutes with some training tips from a friend of mine who is a pro trainer. They will be as attatchments to the email and are certified virus free, so don' t worry about opening the attatchments.