HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - All this hype about camo.
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: All this hype about camo.

Camo isn't the onlykey to break up the BLOB effect. In saskatchewan camo is not allowed during rifle season (up until this past season it was a full suit requirement but now pants can be whatever floats your canoe) it never effected my success rate any. First and foremost regardless of what season or outfit my priority list is as follows:

#1 wind (keep it on yours and off theirs)
#2location (no skylining - make sure you have backing so your outiline is not against the horizon. Best camo is still the stuff god made, look for it and use it.)
#3 movement (watch your gross movements -pan with your eyes, situate yourself with the best field of view to minimize movement requirements, etc)
#4 noise ( if it walks andact like a human it must be a human - slow down, stop, listen, look)
#5 prepared/ready (rangemarkers prior to the animals showing up,have your equipment nearby/handy without having to search or move a ton, be alert/attentive, etc)

Adding camo won't hurt. Personally just like decoying geese i think animals see our faces as a beacon, many timesbefore they see anything else! I like to tone mine down with a face mask be it mesh or up here in the cold weather a polyproplene face mask.Or I look down and basically through the beak of my hat when faced with a stare down. Most of the staring contestsI have encountered have resulted awaving bye bye so I try to avoid such contests.