HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone believe in high-velocity killing power?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Doe Dumper
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone believe in high-velocity killing power?

A good majority of my kills..prob 60% have came from treestands shooting at deer that are as relaxed as an open firearms season allows them to be. The 30-06 load in question was a slow one coming out of a short barrel...it was around nose 180 power point winchester whichalmost without fail put them on the ground where they stood. I had a lethal combo with that gun until someone stole the f'in thing. Im not telling you guys how they will do every time..Im just telling ya MY experiences. I had some bang flops with the 270...moreso than the 7-08 but not the amount that the slow heavy bullets got for me. Thats half the reason I have started wrking the 300 Savage in to my hunting as it seems to lay them low very quickly for me at a whopping 2450 fps. The deer I have been around when shot and have shot myself have almost always dropped faster when shot with a slower moving bullet. It might not be your exerpience..but it is mine. It may not be right but it is what works for me. They all kill so it really doesnt matter but sometimes you want to see the animal fall where its hit...unless we can make them run uphill

I see your point also RR as when they do hit the ground they try like hell to get back up but they just dont seem to make it to their feet. As far as the actual killing part the fast ones may very well do it...I got somewhat sidetracked on the drop time vs. kill time after the shot. My bad...