HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

I don't know the actual numbers but of the deer I have hit well I can't remember any that stuck around for a second shot. However in the past few seasons I have had two spine shot deer that I did have to finish off with follow up shots. One of those deeris the reason I now carry more arrows, long story but short version = I had 4 arrows, Arrow 1 hit spine, Arrow 2 missed flailing deer on ground, Arrow 3 I accidently touched my trigger as I was just beginning to draw and it shot about 20 ft in a nice little rainbow arc, Arrow 4 I finally regained my composure and double lunged the buck. Total time was about 1 minute and had I screwed up the last shot I would have had to climb down in my climber and either recover an arrow to finish himor dispatch the deer with my knife, either way I felt that was too much time andIwas a little unprepared that day, lesson learned. I truly believed I wouldnever need that many arrows in the woodsuntil that evening.

LOL that was my "short" version.