HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Zeroing Scales
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zeroing Scales

ORIGINAL: TJEN

Coming form the Engineering measurement World please get a set of check weights so you can tell what any scales are acualy reading. Do not rely on what you asume a bullet is suppost to weight. And check you zero at your intended charge weight or as close as possible. You may find that say at a 60.0gr zero with weights your 0.00 is now 0.02 off. Be safe and make the purchase.
From an enginering standpoint?
Aretellin me,a very very quality controled bullet(it is match grade afterall) measured to exact specific standards, (they have to be, otherwise no competition shooter would ever use them) isn't comparable in every way,to a set of a set ofQUALITY scale weights.
Bothrequire tight tight tolerences, they are both doubled checked, tripple checked and quadrupiled checked..
I have yet to find any Sierra matchgrade bullet that didn't weigh exactly what it was suppose to, but can't say that for all scale weight manufactures.
With some scale weight manufacturers your relying on the assumption of what the weight is suppose to be, its no different than the average bullet....
Honestly I'd trust a Seirra's overall quality control and tolerences of their match grade Match Grade Bullet, over alot of scale weight brands....
It took me a long time, before I put money forward for scale weights because
I had a hard time finding a brand I could trust and rely on...