HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Custom Made Box
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Turkey Addict

Default RE: Custom Made Box

SwampCollie

Thanks for the complements. As far as woods I use, Just about anything. I am always trying new woods out. Some of my favorites are Blackwalnut, Cedar, Cherry, Poplar, and a new one I like alot is Bloodwood as a Lid. I am also becoming fond of Sassafrass for a Box. I Like Bloodwood over Black walnut for a very raspy Sounding Box. I call It the mean old Hen sound. For sweet and sexy Yelps Blackwalnut over Butternut seems to do the trick. One thing I found since I started building box calls is in most cases the sound you get is determined more by the Quality of the particular wood and how you tune it and not so much on what the type of wood accually is. If you smell what I am stepping in.I have come to feel that one of the hardest things to get a box to do is purr.Every call I build willpurrif I get the sound boards thin enough, But sometimes you have to get the sides so thin that you lose the pitch ofthe yelp before you get the purr working good. I am usually happy with the Cutt and cluck when I am happy with the yelps a box makes. Blackwalnut over Cedar Is a great middle of the road Combo. so is Cherry over Poplar. I have been working hard on my own style Short box and one thing I like aboutthem is how nice they Purr compared to the checkerd Box calls. As a whole I like a Higher pitched boxcall. My calls geared more towards that trend. I would be more than happy to help you out. And I offer a money back garantee. If you are not happy I will give you your money back or let me know what it is you want different, and I will build you a new one.

Jerry