HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - dpms AR-15 peopleI need your help!!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 PM
ahankster

Default RE: dpms AR-15 peopleI need your help!!

Devil dog is right on.
There are only two places making 308/260 recievers right now that I know of. Armalite, DPMS and Rock River. There may be a billet reciever available, but I don't know for sure. I have a DPMS LR308 w/ a 24 inch fluted barrel and love it.

Anyway, the parts on these platforms will not have the same interchangability that the AR15s have. The uppers from one maker will not fit on the uppers from another. Right now, Armalite is very expensive but can be found fairly easily. DPMS in 308 and 260 can be found fairly easy if you look and run between $900 and $1200 for a gun depending on setup. The 300 and 243 are harder to find and if you order one from DPMS, expect several months wait. Rock River just started distributing their version of the AR-10 in 308, I am sure other calibers will follow, but at this time they are hard to find. I understand they cost more than the DPMS, but not as much as the Armalite.

I have seen the DPMS LR (AR10) recievers for sale, but they generally run $250 to $300. Uppers are fairly expensive too. I saw some in the midway or Brownell's catalog not too long ago.

One other option, if you want to stay with the cheaper AR15 lower and upper hardware would be to go with 6.5 grendal, 6.8 spc, 300 whisper, 221 fireball, 458 SOCOM, 450BM, 500 BW or one of the new calibers that does fit the AR platform. There are lots of options out there.
Hank