HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???
Old 02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
tbonecpa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Ishoot a Rem 11-87 12 ga. with a 26" light contour barrel and synth stock. The shorter LCbarrel and synth stock make it lighter andbetter balanced than factory. Also installed a SVL slip on recoil pad to extend the length of pull by an inch. Thatmade thegun fitme much better.I don't miss high hardly at allanymore because my cheek is further back on the stock. I love the auto for fast shooting and multiple flushes and 12 ga for range of available shells in both lead and steel. I shoot 7/8 oz 7 1/2's @1350 fps early season(IC choke), low brass 1 oz #6 and 1 1/4 oz steel #3 later on in the year(Mod. choke).The cheap #6opens up fast andthe steel holds great long range patterns. Ballistically,fast #3 steel equates to fast #5 lead and Idon'tseemanydisputingthe stopping power offast #5 lead. I will even use #2steel if batting cleanup behind other shooters. That dropsthem at really long range and solvesany anti-lead issues. In conclusion....the guns, chokes,and loads improve your chances of success but not nearly likeseveralrounds of sporting clays will.