HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!-
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
the_sandman_454
Spike

Default RE: Self Defense handgun help.

The initial post referenced buying for a friend. That could just as easily mean as a gift, which I took it as, as a straw purchase. And if this guy is buying the gun with his own money and then giving the gun to someone else who can legally posess it, it is a legal transaction.

So maybe this dude just doesn't know the adequate terminology or feel the need to post it up exactly as shown. Unless he's in your store trying to do something illegal, why not leave him alone? I guess I just don't understand pushing the technicallities. The guy understands the rules now, (and probably did before), so I think that's about the end of the problem. I just don't see the need to keep beating a dead horse.

In terms of "no paperwork", aside from going through an FFL or based on local requirements I don't see a need for paperwork either. Of course the seller probably wants a receipt, but again, that is no business of ours, it's between the seller and our poster here. Technically until the Government requires registration of everything, unless he goes through an FFL, there won't be much in the way of paperwork, nor is it a legal requirement, depending of course on his local laws. Of course it originally started with paperwork when the first FFL sold it to the first member of the public, but thanks to private sales, the trail could stop there depending on how they doccumented the transfers, which is of course legal.

If it were me, as a buyer I'd request a bill of sale from the seller (that way you cover your butt so they can't claim you stole it, etc), and put on paper for your records that you gave it to the girl.

Ok, I am personally done with the legal crap, since I think it has been sufficiently explained already numerous times more than it needs to have been. I'm done helping to beat the dead horse, and tired of seeing all the crap myself in a thread dedicated to trying to fit a gun to a purpose.