HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - we shot the 50cal kentucky long rifle today
Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM
little-d

Default we shot the 50cal kentucky long rifle today

we couldn't wait i just had to shoot it. i got lots of roundball shot but no patches so i used some black mmp sabots and some 230gr xtp .451 45cal bullets with some 777 powder. i shot it 4 times with 75 grs and got about a 8 inch pattern at 50yards shooting freehand. i cleaned it then i dropped down to 60grs and shot 3 more times swabing after each shot and got about a five inch group. i didn't figure it would group any good at all with the sabots but thats all we had.one thing for sure, it kicks like a mule. i can just imagine what 110 grs would feel like. i'm going to town friday so maybe i can find some patches and pick up some more powder. can't wait to get the right ball load and get to my shooting bench. my target was leaning against a 8 inch round sweetgum tree, the bullets that hit center didn't make it through the tree but a few that hit over to the side made it through busting big chunks off the tree.