HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Finally a warm day to shoot
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Finally a warm day to shoot

Today was finally not real cold (14ÂșABOVE zero )so I decided I better get some range time in while I can. There was a slight wind out of the west but other then it making my hands cold when loading, it was not too bad. I decided to shoot rifles today that did not need to have the barrel swabbed. So I took out the Ultra Mag White .504 and the .504 White Bison. The Bison has a 1X Nikon scope and the Ultra Mag has a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7X32mm.

The first shot of of the Ultra Mag as usual was out of the group. I guess that is why I hunt on a fowled barrel. The next two hits were above the florscent orange 1" dot that WAS on the center of that pizza cardboard. While they grouped nice, I wanted to shoot at the small dot so I aimed just under it. The rifle is sighted in to hit at 75 yards. You can see the dot below after I found it on the ground (it did not scan to true color for some reason). It lasted the next two shots. After that I shot for bullet holes. That center group is seven shots because I counted them as I shot as fast as I could load and shoot. I can not find the seventh hole though.

The Bison I discovered liked a .503 bullet and I happened to have a couple hunderd 460 grain BullShop. So I took out a new box of them and shot them. I was trying it with wads, without wad, Pyrodex P, Pyrdoex RS, Triple Se7en, and lots of different powder charges. The Bison is an interesting rifle. The POI will change drastically if you add a wad, or change powder. I still have not decided what I want to shoot out of it. I was having too much fun just shooting again...